FUSE BOX CAUGHT FIRE
When Does a Fuse Catch on Fire? - Circuit design - Eng-Tips
www-tips››Activities›Circuit design ForumJul 21, 2005We had an electrical fire in a heater controller enclosure today, where a 5 Amp fuse was disintegrated! The 5 Amp fuse was in a block of 4 fuses, from left to right >>20A>>20A>>5A>>5A. The 3rd fuse from the left. No breaker was tripped. The fuse just isn't there any more; it's all carbon charred dust, with black soot all inside the enclosure.Fuses typically do that because the spring clips that hold them are "sprung" this causes the clip to run hot. This oxidizes the clip material. Which leads to increased resistance of the clip to fuse connection. Which causes further heat increase. etc, etc, read vicious circle. Finally an arc will begin. 480VAC is pretty good at sustaning an arc. The arc may reach 10,000F. 10,000F = some major charing!! The first question would be are the fuses rated at 480?Fuses are rated for 480 VAC. Your comment seems reasonable, even though the type of fuse block used does not have a spring. So, I would suspect that the fuse may not have been the correct size and may have been squeezed hard in its place, causing the heat, etc. Can anyone else confirm? ThanksActually loose connections are what generates heat. Ohmic drop dissipates power = heat. Also check the connections at the fuse block for tightness. Of course if you had access to a thermal imager, that would be the cat's meow to find components and connections that are heating up. Wheels within wheels / In a spiral array A pattern so grand / And complex Time after time / We lose sight of the way Our causes can't see / Their effects.If there was nothing left of the fuse, how do you know it was the right voltage? If I only had a dollar for every time I was told they didn't do anything wrong!ataslaki You never specified what kind of fuse holder.. Was it the kind where you shove the fuse into some form of clip? If the answer is yes then springs are involved even though they aren't in the classical spring shape. The clips are springs. analogkid2digitalman is correct in that this is usually caused by looseness which means it could be the actual connection of the wires to the fuse block too, not just the fuse. That said.. A 250VAC fuse jammed into 480VAC service is sure to toast during a fuse blowing fault event.I would be concerned about fuse and fuse holder ratings also. Sounds like it sustained a prolonged plasma arc due to exceeding instantaneous interrupt ratings. What is the current condition of the transformer? e.g. if it developed a hard short that drew a high (peak) short circuit current, then a sustained plasma arc inside the fuse could have developed. Have seen a 120V AC fuse (and fuse holder) blown completely out of a radio that took a direct antenna lightning strike. Antenna lightning arrestors were installed (but old arc gap technology and, NO bonding from antenna ground to power service entrance ground, so the subsequent ground shift from the lightning hit just ate it up.After cleanup, CSI revealed that the ends of the high voltage stranded wires going into the fuse blocks were dipped in solder. Could that be a cause for the arcing?IF a screw was used to secure the wires in the fuseholder, the solder could be an issue by preventing enough force to hold the conductors. You usually rely on the screw force to 'mash' the conductors down to secure them. The solder could have prevented this and the screw worked loose over time. Leads to ohmic loss = heat Wheels within wheels / In a spiral array A pattern so grand / And complex Time after time / We lose sight of the way Our causes can't see / Their effects.I have had car fuses catching fire instead of fusing. Made-in-China fuses found in dollar stores. I wonder how can they be allowed to cross the borders.Felixc, Somewhere I posted a link to the BEAMA website, but the search function won't find it. Here it is again: ht tp://www.b eama.u k/Newslett er/Issue2/ articles/b eamainstal lation The following excerpt is really concerning: Quote: Our group, now upbeat following the finds in Wenzhou, then flew down to Guangzhou for the Canton Trade Fair (Chinese Export Commodities Fair). Another eye opener. This fair is a sad indictment on the Chinese manufacturing industry. It's a huge exhibition with 8,000 stands. All have one thing in common - they export from China. About 300 stands are showing electrical installation products. Almost every stand has dead copies or look-a-likes of every famous brand and design. Some blatantly display brand names. Most have no brand name or show their own name, but will easily supply you with any brand you want. If you ask for a particular name - you'll most likely get it. Worse still, you can ask for any BS or IEC number. They will print anything on the product - whether it's applicable or not. Any fault level you want printed can be provided, true or false. Any product, any brand, any spec, to any market - nothing is sacred, no market rejected. Even more worrying is the price. The lower the price, the lower the quality. They tell you this quite openly. The price governs the quality. If the price means some of the components have to be omitted, then so be it. MCBs without overloads, MCCBs without arc chutes. Contactors without plated contacts. Wiring accessories without shutters. Fuses without elements. The characteristics mentioned on these copies are worryingly poor. But, if you want a test certificate, you'll get one - they'll do anything you want. Out here, it's as if you cannot trust anything you are told or anything you see. Beware of products that are too good to be true. They are probably from China! ---------------------------------- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a great education!
What Causes a Breaker Box to Catch Fire? | Hunker
Degraded components are faulty and will eventually cause sparking and possibly fire, according to K.I. Security Enterprises. Although an electrical breaker box is designed for safety, it is not entirely fireproof. Sparks inside the box can set it on fire, and the fire can spread throughout your home quickly. Breakers are simple to inspect.
OHW • View topic - Fuse caught fire! - Old House Web
Feb 04, 2005Fuse caught fire! Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:01 pm. I've seen a home built in 1972 that had a 150 amp fuse box with 24 spaces, it was probably pretty rare though, and I'm guessing this was about the time they stopped making fuse boxes. It is possible to continue using a fuse box, as long as, 1. It's mains can serve all the present electrical loads, 2.
2008 Jeep Liberty Fuse Box Caught On Fire: 1 Complaints
wwwomplaints›Jeep›Liberty›2008›electricalThe 2008 Jeep Liberty has 1 problems reported for fuse box caught on fire. Average failure mileage is 66,500 miles.
Top 10 Causes of Furnace Electrical Problems - Arista
Furnace blown a fuse again? Get to the bottom of it with this furnace troubleshooting guide that explains the common causes of furnace electrical problems. which can then overheat, causing the fuse to burn out and possibly even catch on fire. The fix is simple in this case: replace the furnace fuse, replace the filter, and have the system
The 3rd fuse box caught on fire I got plastic melted and
2007 Toyota Camry Fuse Box Caught Fire: 2 Complaints
wwwomplaints›Toyota›Camry›2007›electricalThe 2007 Toyota Camry has 2 problems reported for fuse box caught fire. Average repair cost is $10,000 at 104,950 miles.
My 2006 Pontiac torrent main fuse box caught fire
The big question here is why was there a fire in the first place. Shorting electrical components can cause a fire. If you have not resolved what caused the fire in the first place, you are fighting a losing battle. Also, it sounds like some of the wire harness connected to the fuse box has been damaged by the fire's heat, causing short circuits.